View Single Post
Old July 14, 2014   #56
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Mato View Post
Does anyone know if sungold has t or B ? my guess would be B but this is my first time growing it so I haven't had a chance to test it yet.
That is one variety I've been curious about. It actually was what got me to start thinking about this topic.

Part of the way to figure it out would be to grow the F1 completely isolated and then grow out a selection of F2s. If all the F2s are orange, then it is caused by a recessive allele. If ~1/4 of the F2s have some other color, then it is likely to be caused by a dominant allele in one copy in the F1.

This is an experiment that several people have undertaken, though the reports I've come across are not consistent enough to be certain… but there is a mix of mostly orange and a few red/other. This is suggestive of a dominant allele, like B, but without strict isolation of the F1 parent, it is hard to be certain how meaningful the reports are.

Alternately, there are distinct differences in the carotenoid profiles produced under the influence of the different orange color genes and these can be identified using lab techniques that I don't know the details of how to do.
Darren Abbey is offline   Reply With Quote