View Single Post
Old July 9, 2014   #9
swamper
Tomatovillian™

There are some great tasting large indeterminate sauce tomatoes, mostly related to San Marzano. Many of these produce late. Find one that grows well in your area and cross it with other tomatoes with characteristic you desire like higher flavor, color, yield, and be prepared to grow a LOT of offspring through many generations, and to select the traits you like, and backcross and select again if needed. The varieties Fusion mentioned all have exceptional characteristics. Many of the best tasting sauce tomatoes have wispy foliage. You should think about your goals; Do you want fruit that tastes good fresh as well as cooked? Do you want a load of fruit all at once for processing? Do you can whole tomatoes, make sauce, paste, salsa?

Most of the determinate types I've grown lack superior flavor. Deeper color can mean more flavor emerges on cooking, but the "crimson gene" types didnt taste any better fresh i.m.o. Their advantage might be better color from fruits harvested at breaker stage.

The Hempel lines mentioned are truly masterpieces of tomato breeding, but I would not consider them sauce tomatoes.
swamper is offline   Reply With Quote