View Single Post
Old July 5, 2014   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

But, my thought behind the question was really fairly basic, with all of the crossing, breeding, and varieties over the past, many would benefit fro a simple chart for points of reference and selection to know what the community here considers the best exemplar of those within a given set of traits, i.e. a rather basic chart by hybrid vs OP, size, color, acid amount, texture that would at least be a starting point for rookies and even folks like myself who, due to memory issues, sometime need to check. I don't care for cherry tomatoes, so no need to look there. I don't care for beefsteaks, so skip those, I can't ( as of this year) eat the high acid fruits anymore...skip those.

&&&&&&

A noble idea indeed but in my opinion impossible to do.

I'm not the only one here who has grown thousands of varieties, and about 20K OP varieties are known, close to that now available to the public, as well as about 300 F1 hybrids.

Scott limited himself to one color class and one fruit shape and did searches here to get that data.

But as I read your request, you want folks to post here about all color classes and fruit shapes, and plant habits, etc. and no one can post about acidity b/c that's a personal issue and actual pH values don't always reflect taste.

You also posted:

(You see where I'm going? Sometimes now I can't even remember the month and have to sometimes stop in mid writing to remember my own name, much less the traits of the hundreds of varieties I grew before my strokes. Even the newcomers, often ask the very same questions to get started. A simple chart or even database wherein one could input the few variables or scan a chart would be an invaluable asset. You want to know the top few yellows, simply scan the chart or input the features desired and voila! At least that would be a starting point and generally not disappoint. As we pursue a more scientific approach, whether brix, mineral content, or even identifiable phenols maybe things could be even further refined. Maybe. With all of the many different names for the same tomato, just maybe DNA or some similar markers, could even further eliminate much confusion...later.)

it seems to me that you want this for your own personal use since you said to skip beefsteaks and cherries, since you don't like them.

Kath has given long extensive feedback on what she grows for many years, and with the performance threads that I post for my annual seed offers, well, those go back to 2007 here for me, and many others have also given feedback as well, and there are quite a few folks who once posted about their feedback that for one reason or another, are no longer here either.

Summary?

Impossible to do what you are asking for.

Every one of us here started as rookies, newbies,, and had to develop knowledge through the years. And that's part of the challenge and fun as I see it. And if one wants more information about varieties that come their way there's always Tania's superb site as well as the yearly SSE YEarbooks for SSE members.

Just my opinion on your request but others may see it differently .

Carolyn, who was growing many different varieties before home computers were common, and for sure before there were all the message sites now extant, but loved every minute of the journey to greater knowledge by learning on her own and has seen many here and elsewhere enjoying that same journey.