View Single Post
Old June 17, 2014   #1
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Default "Impossible Dream" tomato

I just may have found my unreachable star of tomatoes. I am giving it a name..."Impossible Dream" and I think I can finally beat the so called 'unbeatable foes' of store bought tomatoes.

The tomato is a hybrid that I made last year and is going through a number of tests to see if it is, indeed, a winner. I have frequently said that the way to find a truly good tomato is to taste it in the mature green stage just before it starts to turn color. "Impossible Dream" has it in spades! Wrapping up a half dozen mature green tomatoes a couple of weeks ago has paid off handsomely in my evaluation tonight when I extracted the seed and tasted the fruit. They had the tantalizing sweetness of a fully grown and ripe tomato, the richness of flavor of a large heirloom and the tartness that only an unusually tart tomato can deliver.

I pick many of my tomatoes breaking color or at the mature green stage since if I didn't...they would be picked by others. Frequently the tomatoes suffer in the lack of sweetness and flavor after a couple of weeks. Not "Impossible Dream"...I was shocked by the sensory perception. I have further crosses of this hybrid and in hindsight I am glad I have them.

I have other plants of "Impossible Dream" in different locations and I will continue to try out the tomatoes at different stages of ripeness. Not that I think tomatoes should be picked at the mature green stage but that is almost what store bought tomatoes are....and they lack flavor all too often. The area I live in is not exactly tomato country and finding a tomato that has this kind of flavor early and ripens in wrapped paper for two weeks is startling.

I am sowing lots of tomato seed this week for the fall evaluation, therefore I will sow the two parents also to make lots of the "Impossible Dream" F-1 seed.

The male parent is almost a 'spitter' to some people, and no, it is not the Green Zebra. My California experience 20 years ago in tasting non-ripe tomatoes is finally paying off. The three varieties in the hybrid were part of my California crossing blocks. The parents are like the 'Beauty and the Beast' and the combining ability is superb.

My tomato grafting experts/friends are looking for a tomato like "Impossible Dream" and I will approach them to make it available on grafted root stocks.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote