Thread: F1 surprises
View Single Post
Old June 14, 2014   #9
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

From Bower...
Quote:
I must admit, I had been thinking of the F1 as more of a 'nuisance' generation which is necessary to get the F2 seed... but it's been slowly dawning on me, how much there is to be learned from them - especially for the inexperienced like me.
The 'Nuisance" hybrids! Yep, I know what that means. Way too many splendid varieties can be put together in a hybrid but disappointment sets in invariably. The traits seem to cancel each other to the point that the tomato is "Ho-hum" and is a waste of space. I make it even worse by crossing F-1's to F-1's and even more cancelling goes on. Rather than illustrating what I mean, I am posting the following which is part of a larger discussion about the Dark Orange Muscat on my tatermater forum.

i.imgur.com/rp3ooFH.jpg
Quote:
The link above shows what is left of a butchered tomato after seed extraction and tasting.

This is an F-1 cross of Dark Orange Muscat x Skykomish. Both parents are orange but the hybrid is mostly red. The oranges colors seem to cancel each other out and reverts to the wild type which is red. Obviously we don't have the same gene for orange/gold flesh.

The seed extracted is complicated...a four way cross:

.... F-1 (Dark Orange Muscat x Skykomish)
F-1 ___________________________________

.... F-1 (Tegucigalpa Paste x Blush)

I have this seed and hundreds of other freshly extracted seed awaiting my sowing for a late high row tunnel grow out hopefully down in Woodburn, Oregon.

Trying to photograph all of my crosses along with flavor tests and seed processing is taxing to say the least. Hundreds of varieties yet to extract

How many seed are put away for the cross above? About 40

What is my perceived best clone to pull out of this mess? In a generation or two...a long fruit like Tegucigalpa with the Blush trait on a bicolor orange with late blight resistance! I may need all need all forty seed to set up the segregation right off, reselecting during the F-3 progeny
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote