View Single Post
Old June 11, 2014   #4
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Well I wouldn't expect any government grants or support. But as far as setting up something for a local homeless shelter or nursing home, that has been done for sure though private funding and labor.

If it was me I would start small. Pick one homeless shelter or something like that. Then you personally will need to start the ball rolling. I recommend going to the manager and show him this:

and this:

Then simply make a presentation to the facility manager. He surely has a certain budget assigned to maintenance. It might be small but it is something. If he agrees, then approach local nurseries for either discounts and/or the "throwouts" or simply make starts yourself. Start small and then gradually grow it. Once things are actually growing and producing, contact your local paper, TV, councilman etc... My guess is that within a couple years it will grow larger than you ever expected. As far as packaged compost, better to make it on site.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote