View Single Post
Old June 11, 2014   #101
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieDan View Post
Some of the posters here told me I have a thrip in my tomato blooms. Maybe this is what has made your production lower. I think some varieties are more affected by it than others. I would never have discovered it if I hadn't been using an electric toothbrush to vibrate the blooms for pollination. Hold something black under the bloom while vibrating it. If 1 or more very small bugs falls out of the bloom, you may have thrips. One guy said it may just be the kind that eats pollen, which would not be a major threat to the plant, but is very bad for bees. Check it out, if you have them spray once and then again in a week. Google thrips for more information. Thrips can also carry disease.
Dan, thrips are not found in all places in the US or elsewhere, here in upstate NY, with over 4,000 varieties grown I've never seen thrips on blossoms, which is true for most of us in the northern states with more temperate weather.

There's a thread like this one every so often, and you are reading one person;s opinions about varieties, and trust me, for almost every variety that someone has said don't grow again, there are others who say they love it.

And soit goes.

Carolyn