View Single Post
Old June 10, 2014   #31
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Dewayne,

I was basically thinking of something very similar to what you are describing EXCEPT, as Naysen mentioned:

"So far, I haven't managed to create something that will work for my difficult, terraced beds with external rock/boulder soil that will not take a spike for support."

Naysen,

Sorry to make things needlessly complicated. I get carried away at times !

I just wanted you to know (in case you didn't already) that it's a fairly simple task to drill holes for your vertical supports into your concrete retaining walls (even with uneven surfaces) - if that's what you want to do. One just needs a hammer drill or impact drill and an appropriate masonry bit. These can be rented at places like home depot or a regular tool rental place, but probably easier just to hire someone (from a masonry or concrete firm) and have them drill a few holes for you. A quick web search shows lengths of 22" (which should be plenty deep enough) and hole diameters of 1" plus (and smaller) being fairly common.

The rest of the ideas/instructions in my post were just "gilding the lily" .
And meant to confuse you ! (Just kidding ).

Anyway, good luck with things! Sounds like you're making progress with what you're currently doing.

Anne
aclum is offline   Reply With Quote