View Single Post
Old June 3, 2014   #124
zero244
Tomatovillian™

Default Hello Fellow Tomato Lovers

This is my first post.........it took weeks to get verified hopefully after I make this post I will be able to view photos.
This year I am growing 14 plants and 8 different strains. In the past I've grown whatever was sold at the nursery which meant nothing but hybrids though that is changing.
But I finally saw the light and discovered heirloom and open pollinated varieties.
I doubt I will ever buy or grow anything else. I am growing one Monsanto hybrid called Tye Dye just out of curiosity.
My tomato interest is about 50\50 indeterminate and bush dwarf strains.
The various seed exchanges and the USDA are doing wonders to preserve the older OP varieties.
I don't necessarily mind having to buy seeds every year like you have to do with the hybrids, but in most cases the flavor is missing when your compare hybrids vs OP strains.
I haven't bought a store bought tomato in over 15 months. I grew a 506 Bush tomato indoors this past winter under HID lighting and was amazed how much better it tasted over any store bought tomato.
I just wished I would of discovered this years ago instead of wasting my time growing Celebrity and Early Girl etc.
zero244 is offline   Reply With Quote