View Single Post
Old January 23, 2007   #70
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Nah, haven't tried any of them but I saved them coz the posters were raving about them...

Here's another one that sounded great... I think I will make this one. I bought the American mustard and mangoes are in season.

This is the basic recipe I use for my habañero sauce. I found it on the web, but I modify it for my own taste. You can find mango in cans (tins) if you can't find good fresh ones - a good fresh one should have a strong aroma. I also add some canned pineapple. Adjust the amount of peppers to your taste. This being an american recipe, chile powder means "mexican chile powder" which can mean almost anything. It's usually a mix of several different kinds of chiles may have cumin, oregano, etc. I skip that ingredient, you can add other chiles (fresh, powdered) to your desired taste.
The curry is important - I use a Madras style curry powder - go to your local Indian grocery and buy some good stuff - it needn't be hot, its the aroma you want. The cheap mustard is a good part of the taste - don't buy Dijon, get a big bottle of the bright yellow stuff.
You can put everything into a blender, or if you don't have one use a "Mouli" hand grinder. It's advisable to wear rubber gloves, unless you like to have your hands burning for 3 days.
Keep in mind this was written years ago, and is NOT the hottest sauce in America. It's really good though. It tastes pretty mild and a little sweet, but then you notice your scalp is wet. I like it - your tastes may vary. The key is to improvise, and taste it while you're making it and adjust appropriately - sweeter, hotter saltier, etc.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Home-Style Inner Beauty Hot Sauce

12 Fresh habañero chiles -- roughly chopped, seeded
1 Ripe mango -- peel, pit, mash
1 c Cheap yellow prepared mustard
1/4 c Brown sugar -- packed
1/4 c White vinegar
1 tb Prepared curry powder
1 tb Ground cumin
1 tb Chili powder
Salt and freshly cracked
Black pepper -- to taste

This style of hot sauce, widely used in the West Indies, is
basically habañero peppers (also known as Scotch Bonnets),
fruit, and yellow mustard, with a few other ingredien eyes, or mouth while working
with habañeros. You may actually want to wear rubber gloves
while chopping and mixing -- these babies are powerful.

Recipe By: Big Flavors Of The Hot Sun by Schlesinger &
Willoughby
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote