View Single Post
Old January 23, 2007   #69
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grub
Spicy Spatz,

The orange habs are very hot, but bearable if you don't eat the membrane and seeds. I use just one to spice-up a homemade salsa to the desired piquancy. Least that is what I did last year. No toms just yet.

But by all accounts Orange Habs. are even better for making an orange-coloured hot sauce. I plan to do this and, when the mood strikes, splash some on barbecued sausages, corn on the cob, grilled chicken or chilli con carne.

Most recipes are variations on that below, however, many prefer to add a can (inc. syrup) of mango slices and/or peach slices for a fruitier BBQ-type sauce. And, of course, you can use fresh fruit, too. Like in this recipe... http://www.graffi.to/hotsauce2004.html

Play with the following...

Habanero Sauce

12 habaneros chopped, stems removed
1/2 c chopped carrot
1/2 c chopped onion
3 cloves garlic minced
1 t vegetable oil
1/2 c white vinegar
1/4 c fresh lime juice

Saute the onion and the garlic in the oil until soft. Add carrots and 1/2 cup water. Simmer until carrots are tender.

Place carrot mixture and habaneros in a blender puree until smooth. Combine puree with vinegar and lime simmer for 5 minutes over low heat to combine flavors, strain into sterilized bottles, can be kept for up to 1 year. Is a rather toxic orange colour and very hot. Use sparingly
That sauce in the link looks good as well. With those ingredients it should have some good flavours with the heat. Have you tried that one Grub??
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote