View Single Post
Old May 27, 2014   #23
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cythaenopsis View Post
I went rather simplistic. Potting mix with some tomato plant fertilizer mixed into 4" pots. I left the pots outside during the day and brought them inside when temps were hovering in the low 50's/upper 40's. Once night temps got into the upper 50's, I started leaving them outside all day/night.

This is pretty much 1 month of growth after having shown cotyledon leaves, taken on the 25th:

Funny enough, in just a few days I've already seen noticeable growth and stem thickening compared to these photos. Those growth spurts are impressive! These plants would probably be a little greener and a little taller if I'd used a grow light and a more sophisticated fertilizing system. But I'm growing just a handful of plants and so the investment in all that wouldn't pay off.
For a small number of seedlings, I use a standing lamp from Walmart. It has three adjustable lights and I put the spiral, fluorescent bulbs in the.
Also, for $5.00 plus the price of bulbs, I bought some 4 foot long lights to hang from an old restaurant supply shelf unit. I've seen others hang theirs above a shelf. Cheap and easy.
My husband welded poles on top to hang lights but putting hooks in the wall for a shelf I could have done myself.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote