View Single Post
Old May 25, 2014   #10
SummerSky
Tomatovillian™

Bad news, almost all of my 100+ tomatoes are turning yellow. Lower leaves are starting to wilt. Only the two Purple Calabash plants I started just for kicks seem totally oblivious to everything.

My dad (who has grown tomatoes for 35+ years, although not from seed) looked at them and said he would rather just buy some transplants from the store. I was totally crushed. He wasn't being a jerk about it, he had offered to buy them and was sympathetic, but he sees no reason why I should struggle trying to revive sickly plants when relatively healthy ones are right around the corner. It stings though to see my effort and excitement start wilting before my eyes. They were sort of dry (not fully dry), so I watered them good in hopes that maybe they were just reacting to how hot the day was, but an hour later and going into dusk there was no change. I looked them over for signs of mites or bugs, but I couldn't find anything at all.

I'm thinking of taking him up on his offer. Store bought transplants are not without their problems, but they have to have less problems than mine do. At least that way I can enjoy my garden this year and not have to be so paranoid over it. I won't be able to find my unusual varieties I was excited about (Jersey Devil, Opalka, Blush, etc), but at least I'll have something to make decent sauce out of in late summer. My tomatoes have been fighting me tooth and nail this year, maybe it's time to take the hint.

I'll check them over in the morning before deciding. Who knows, maybe they will look more worth while after a good night's rest...
SummerSky is offline   Reply With Quote