View Single Post
Old May 24, 2014   #1
SummerSky
Tomatovillian™

Default Herbicide damage? Or something else?

Some of my tomatoes are getting these weird new leaves and I'm not sure what the deal is. The closest I got to on image search was herbicide damage, but I'm not sure when they would have been exposed. It's been a couple weeks since the last they had any possibility of being exposed (they went from my suburban house to my parent's farm, and they don't treat their lawns and it's too early to spray fields).

Most of them had some sort of crud going on earlier (powdery mildew, grey mold, or edema, I don't know which, it cleared up when I put them in the greenhouse on my parent's farm). Not all of the plants that had the crud are displaying this new growth, and some that didn't have the crud are displaying the new problem. I've picked the occasional aphid off, but nothing serious.

They have not been planted out yet, since I haven't been able to turn over my garden. Could this be a reaction to getting root bound? Bad potting mix? Heat? Disease? Or does it take time for a possible herbicide exposure to show? If I get off my butt and plant them, will they start sending out normal growth and recover?

The picture I'm attaching is of a Polish Linguisa, one of the ones that get hit badly by the crud. I planted this particular plant in a one gallon pot after I took the picture, since I want to see if it recovers are just dies. I'll probably torch the rest that are this bad. I over started, and I don't have space for all of them. I just want to know what this is so I can recognize it in the future.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tomato leaf curl1.jpg (224.2 KB, 190 views)
SummerSky is offline   Reply With Quote