Thread: Growing Medium!
View Single Post
Old May 9, 2014   #14
topazgirl170
Tomatovillian™

I have used fox farm light warrior for transplant only. Good results too.

I'm a novice gardener, this is only my second year gardening. So, I've used seed starting mixes for the last two years. I've used several seed starting mixes within my two years of gardening: Here's what's I've used.

Gardener Supply Company's Germinating Mix and Organic Seed Starter Mix. I love the germinating mix. It's finely grained, easy to wet, drains well and retains water very well. It's not organic
Personally, I want to use more organic growing mediums.

Their Organic Seed Starting Mix - I used for the first time this season and I love it. I had a 80 to 90% germination rate. However, I did do a seed soak for 12 hours prior to planting. It does have some small debris that needs to be picked out and It's expensive stuff, I'll try to find a way to duplicate the ingredients next season with a "homemade" mix.

I tried Espoma organic seed starter. I had some "weed" like growth in some of the cells. It was a "heavy" mix. I'm not sure I'll use it again. But it is readily available. It cost around $6 for an 8 quart bag. You may want to try it.

I tried Black Gold Seeding Mix for the first time last week(I used it to start lettuce and tomatoes seeds). I had read excellent things about Black Gold products and so far so good. I went to a local nursery/landscaper garden center to get it. I paid like $4 for a 8 quart bag.

*I've found better prices for many garden supplies(fertilizer, plants(flowers and some veggies), growing medium, mulch) at local nurseries and garden centers than at Home Depot, Lowes, Menards(Midwest only) or Walmart. I used the big stores for garden building supplies like lumber, nails, and PVC. .

Last edited by topazgirl170; May 9, 2014 at 04:48 AM.
topazgirl170 is offline   Reply With Quote