View Single Post
Old April 20, 2014   #9
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaMarieNJ View Post
Last year was the first time I saved seeds. I followed the rules, I think, but this year, the seeds are not germinating.

I remember last year that with some seeds the "scum" never developed. So, I waited. Maybe I waited too long?

What do you do with the seeds in the cup that do not ferment? Just skip to the next step? Start again?

TIA

Donna
I don't pay any attention to scum or fungus mats or any such thing. I use small clear drinking glasses, add seeds and pulp, some water and cover loosely with saran wrap. I swirl them once a day. I keep them indoors to ferment. After six to seven days the seeds will mostly sink to the bottom very easily after swirling. I rinse and clean using a fine mesh wire strainer and the sprayer at the kitchen sink. Dry on paper towels for a week and that's it.

No need to wait for a scum or fungus mat to form. So long as the gel sac is gone (mostly doesn't have to be perfect) and you don't forget and leave them too long (when I forget and leave an extra week they turn dark) you've done your job

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Last edited by RebelRidin; April 20, 2014 at 07:02 AM.
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote