View Single Post
Old January 15, 2007   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

For those interested, when I started dehybridizing what we now know as OTV Brandywine I got plants that were RL and some PL.

I got RL plants that had yellow beefsteaks and pink fruited plants that were either PL or RL and the PL large red that I was after from the get go from the F2 seeds that Craig had sent me.

While I initially thought, as did Craig, that the other parent was a red, working out the genetics, which I've now forgotten, it could have been a pink as well.

And at the F5 generation all seed planted gave the large red beefsteak known as OTV Brandywine. I've grown it many times and saved seed many times and have never seen a yellow fruit appear. And I haven't heard of anyone finding a yellow fruit from it either.

However I do know of one circumstance, and this is a rare one, where a variety did once exist as both a red and a yellow. And that's the variety Green Gage, a very old pre-1800 one.

I was fortunate to see a somatic mutation of that, meaning the mutation was not in the seed DNA but in the plant celluar DNA and one branch of Green Gage, which should have yellow fruits, had red ones.

Now that I think of it, the same thing happened with Riesentraube in that it was one yellow fruit on a red fruited plant that gave rise to the variety Yellow Riesentraube.

Such somatic mutations, as with spontaneous DNA mutations, are almost always permanent heritable traits and no stabilization is needed.

I didn't check, but what was the leaf form on this supposed OTV Brandywine Yellow?.I don't have time to check it right now either. LOL