View Single Post
Old March 31, 2014   #195
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

If you did not catch this in my earlier posts almost a year ago. This is the easiest way to graft multiple varieties which i call it vertical grafting. It's so easy its almost to stupid to be true. No humidity chambers, no fancy grafting clips, you can let the grafts heal right outside without babying them indoors.. All you need is some Aquarium tubing and wire. Basically i came up with this method because i wanted carry over eggplant suckers (which are hard to root) and the only way for me to successfully do that was to combine it with a tomato plant so the root system of the tomato plant would support the eggplant sucker and eventually as the graft healed the eggplant would throw out its own roots. For almost a year i wondered if it was possible to have a hybrid root system (like the eggplant root system working along with a tomato root system and combining qualities of both in to one plant). This is where it puzzled me about grafting in general - because in order for the scion to reap the rewards of the root stock the scion had to be above ground level. If the scion rooted then those qualities would be lost. Now if that's the case in an eggplant/tomato situation how would that work out? Okay for James & Anne if you haven't done the bouquet grafting yet method.. here is how i do it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vertical_graft1.jpg (129.7 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg vertical_graft2.jpg (90.0 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg vertical_graft3.jpg (129.4 KB, 153 views)

Last edited by Delerium; March 31, 2014 at 04:01 PM.
Delerium is offline   Reply With Quote