Thread: Raspberries!
View Single Post
Old March 14, 2014   #55
drew51
Tomatovillian™

I saw raspberries and blueberries at Sam's club. Early for here too! I'm at my limit with both, I have 6 blueberry plants and about 21 raspberry plants, which soon will mix all up, they grow so untamed! It's going to be hard to figure out what cultivar is what. new canes just pop up all over. It doesn't matter though. All are good cultivars. I'll just thin them to proper distances and go from there.

I talked to my one of my Canadian friends and he told me he likes Heritage because it is hardy enough for zone 4. But he only takes the summer crop, and forgoes the fall, which is opposite of most! I really do not know if you can get a fall crop in zone 5? It appears you cannot in Zone 4.
I have Kiwi Gold which is a sport of Heritage. I really like it a lot. It stands upright, and bears lot's of tasty yellow berries.It fruited early for me come to think of it. It's worth trying. It fruited like crazy the very first year.Plenty of time before the freeze. Maybe a feature of the sport? You know micro environments are all different, and i suspect one could get varients.
Lisa, all you listed are good plants.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote