View Single Post
Old March 13, 2014   #4
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Richard, I have not totally forgotten you...just busy.

I will be in Vista March 25-27 and will be making TPS seedlings available of 71 kinds. I will be transplanting them just outside Vista down-slope from some avocados. PM me for details of how to get ahold of each other. I should have enough plugs for at least a couple of thousands plugs. I have quite a few rare F-1's but lots of OP lines too. If you have some ground prepared...get ready for a visitor. If you want a lot of seedlings you may want to help me separate some of my clustered cells. I know I will have several hundred extra Stina TPS plants. Stina is a Swedish variety from 1976 that is a great bloomer and berry setter with light yellow flesh, floury texture, but needs some improvement on flavor. Maybe some of the seedlings will surprise us. I hope to have a limited amt. of the old Colombian potato CHAUCHA OCA seedling x Skagit Valley Gold hybrid to allow for some good gold flesh lines to show up.

I have 162 lines of TPS sown locally about to emerge, but not waiting for them to germinate I have transplanted 168 seedling Muru's into larger pots in the greenhouse yesterday. They were seeded four weeks ago.

Tired after digging potatoes all day up near Mount Vernon, WA. Best part was digging the Magic Dragon Series which have been 100% of the time in the ground there since three years ago. Great thing is that there were no blemishes from rhizoc, scab, blight, rot, or freeze damage that normally affects most potato varieties. The low temps this past winter was around 10 degrees Fahrenheit. Fun way to screen potato clones for the ones that survive anything thrown at them. I dug a three hundred foot row of them representing 144 clones originally. Attrition rate was at least 50%.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote