View Single Post
Old March 11, 2014   #1
roxy257
Tomatovillian™

Default BW resistant cukes for containers

Hi all-
Newbie here. I live in a small townhouse complex right outside DC, so needless to say I don't have much space to garden in. The past couple of years I've grown tomatoes in pots with some success, and last year I [tried] cucumbers since I *love* greek salad.

Last year I used a Bonnie Bush burpless Hybrid seedling from HD (boo hiss, I know -- (http://bonnieplants.com/products/veg...ybrid-cucumber )

I planted it in what my fellow horsepeople and I call a "muck bucket" -- a large 17 gallon container with holes drilled in the bottom. The plant did WONDERFULLY for about 6 weeks or so -- grew quickly and produced some beautiful fruit. Then the bacterial wilt set in.

I do recall seeing a cucumber beetle lurking around, but at the time I didn't know about BW... also, I'm sure at some point one of the vines snapped, which probably didn't help.

Anyway -- I have two questions.
1) What variety should I choose this year that's resistant to BW? My research says County Fair, but I'd like to also plant a second variety just in case.

2) What size container should I plant them in? I think the muck bucket was too large (I spent like $20 in potting soil to fill it!), so how small can I go?

Thanks all!

-KC
roxy257 is offline   Reply With Quote