View Single Post
Old January 12, 2007   #2
mdvpc
TomatovilleŽ Moderator

Suze and John-My greenhouse is from Texas Greenhouses.

http://www.texasgreenhouse.com/

Its 8 x 10 and about 6-7 feet wide. There is a photo of the model I have below-I bought mine about 8 years ago.

The company brings it out with a crew and assembles it in about a day-the crew that did mine was good. You need to have the foundation for them already.

One thing you should do is check and see if you need a building permit to put one up-it depends on your location.

The racks/shelving come with the unit and they are very sturdy-they are steel- In the photo, you can see the exact ones I have.

I had the drip system installed and ready when the crew came-to me its the only way to go.

For me, I had the evaporative cooler taken out and a refrigerated unit put in-the a/c comes on intermittantly from September to probably middle of October here, then the heat is on from October to about March or so. Then the a/c back on till I empty the greenhouse out in April. Because of the heat here, I dont use it from April till September.

One thing that needs to be done is it needs to be disinfected once a year. I do it just before I plant in September. You also need to make sure that you put it where it will get maximum exposure to sun.

I had a contractor talk with the greenhouse folks and they got it straight how to prepare the land-wasnt much to it.

Regrets? Yeah, its not big enough! Seriously, I got the painted version, and wouldnt do that again. In the humidity, the paint flakes off and is a pain-even repainting it is not that satisfactory.

I have had 3 types of flooring-pea gravel, concrete and now brick. I would stick with the pea gravel if I did it again.

Of course, venting is super important, and this model comes with appropriate venting fan, windows to open, etc.

I hope I have answered your questions. Please feel free to ask more, and I would welcome others posting in this thread their experiences.