View Single Post
Old March 6, 2014   #12
katkoot
Tomatovillian™

They furrow like that in the Southern or drier parts of Jordan but everywhere they don't stake and just let the plants bush. He said they only get to be 2.5-3ft tall, but since he didn't know what a determinate or indeterminate was, that piece is lost. I'm wondering if they are growing a determinate type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conchi Laurent View Post
Hello
A farmer in Malaga, southern Spain, where it is very hot I was told that tomatoes grown without irrigation.
He furrows. He planted the tomato plant at the bottom of the furrow , the tomatoes must be sufficiently spaced from each other .
Gradually, it spade and back from the land of high di furrow to plant. This will provide him from moisture. After a moment , he must have a small mountain ( hill ) surrounding the plant.
It does not tutors. Never any size stem or branch. Branches and stems of tomato plant fall around the mountain ( hill ) of land. This causes the cover sheet and keep the soil moisture.
In Lanzarote , Canary Islands, freshwater is lacking . They grow vines and vegetables on a very sandy soil as follows:
There are big holes in the ground (I think 1X1 M or more) and they plant down the bottom of the hole ( without guardians) . The hole isolated wind and creates moisture for the plant.
I saw in a Spanish forum people who grew immense fields of tomatoes without water. The only thing they did was to go quite often pure tractor beaker and bring moisture to plants and they never prune the stems and they never tie the plants to stakes . Allowed to grow bush.
katkoot is offline   Reply With Quote