View Single Post
Old March 1, 2014   #8
Anthony_Toronto
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
Buttercup is an absolute favorite. SVB likes it too. Butternut is second favorite--and SVB resistant. I stopped growing winter squash though because I've found we can get high quality winter squash for cheap from the various farmer's markets and roadside stands.
Yup, I've found the same thing with some veggies here...but not sure all are available so I'm going to try growing some new ones and see how they do and then check out the veggie stands so I'll know what not to grow next year. Butternuts here are usually $1.50-$1.75 a pound, and two years back I got about 60 squash, many of which were in the range of 5 pounds or more, and they stored extremely well that season, with some of them lasting as long as a year, and since the seedlings cost me about $4 for 8 of them (6 planted) and I didn't really to anything to maintain them I think they were worth it, but we will see how cheap the markets have them compared to grocery stores, once its harvesting time. The only thing in my garden that really takes much effort is the darn tomatoes, pretty much the only thing I know I can't get at any of the veggie stands (at least not the varities that I grow, and the ones that are for sale cost an arm and a leg). Maybe I should dump my savoy cabbage and eggplants though.
Anthony_Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote