View Single Post
Old January 11, 2007   #1
jenn_sc
SPLATT™ Coordinator

Default Using fresh compost...questions...

I have had a compost bin for a couple of years now. It looks like a large black trash bin with air vents on the sides and a locking lid. My MIL gave it to me as a gift and I have been using it, although I don't know much about composting.

We are vegetarians and so we have large quantities of suitable leftover material to add every few days. I drink lots of coffee, and add the grounds, and from time to time I add a layer of dry oak leaves or a little water. I turn it once or twice a week with a little "spear" thingy that came with it.

Anyway, it's been a slow pile and doesn't seem to heat up all that much, but after a couple of years I have about 2 feet of rich looking "dirt" in the bottom...so here are my questions...

Can this stuff burn my tomato plants? Should I amend my planting holes well ahead of time (like now maybe) so it will have time to "break down" further? I have never used homemade compost and can't quite believe that I've done everything right. Also, there is less broken down material mixed in (the more recent stuff) especially near the top. Should I stop putting in fresh stuff until it breaks down more and I use up what's there?

Any thoughts on all this would be appreciated. I'm sure there must be some experienced composters here to help me

Jennifer
jenn_sc is offline   Reply With Quote