View Single Post
Old February 12, 2014   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug9345 View Post
I'd say a typical dimmer switch that goes in a house generally won't work. They work by clipping part of the AC wave form essentially acting like a pulse width modulated power supply. With part off the AC cycle missing the RMS (for people that don't know what RMS is it's a type of weighted average) voltage drops. When the dimmer is actually conducting it has very little current limiting ability.

I suspect that you may know all this Worth but I've spent quite a bit of time trying to explain that LEDs and fluorescent tubes are devices that you can't change the brightness of by changing the voltage on them and that they need some kind of current limiting. Then there is trying to explain not designing using typical specs, but minimum and maximum values.
I was thinking of the old type dimmers not the new ones.

Somewhere in a box I have a pile of rheostats I used at work plus about a million resisters.

Why is it then that the LED lights I see at the store say they can be dimmed?

All of this talk is bringing up a sore subject with me.

When they wired this house a few years ago they didn't wire it from my opinion correct.

Only one hot wire going to the lights and ceiling fan so I cant just turn on the fan or light individually I have to use a pull string.
Then there is the one light switch in the hall instead of one at each end.
I can wire all of this but the ceiling is a nightmare to crawl in.

I am very interested in the LED stuff and am in the process of converting the whole house to it.
Grow lights are on the top of the list and want to suck up all of the information I can.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote