View Single Post
Old February 2, 2014   #23
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I'm glad that your worms are happy! I have reservations about using cottonseed meal because cotton is a crop that gets sprayed with such a high amount of chemicals.

I like to be as organic as possible, for us as well as for our bountiful crop of garden worms. I just use cow manure, spread over the whole garden in the fall, and my own organic compost at planting time.

Blood, fish, and bonemeal would all be good additions (although the bonemeal might contain some heavy chemicals). However, I don't need stinky smells to attract my dogs into the veggie garden. They already like ripe tomatoes, and will lean over the short fence and pick their own if I don't watch them like a hawk....

Linda

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuk50 View Post
I realize this is an old thread, but was wondering why no one mentioned blood meal. My desert soil is naturally devoid of healthy levels of N for vegetable gardening, so it is always an issue for me. Well composted horse manure at about 6in per year is my base, then I use cottonseed meal when planting seed and after a few weeks if something is looking a bit dull I side dress with bloodmeal and water in with liquid fish and blackstrap for a quick green up of the leaves. It is economical enough and it keeps my worm population happy. If the worms are happy then I'm a happy gardener.
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote