View Single Post
Old January 21, 2014   #1
Dork Fish
Tomatovillian™

Default Community garden #2 (IL: Zone 5A)

I know, I'm a little early this year. I am trying to forget all of the snow outside.

Well my first attempt at a community garden wasn't so great last year. Location wasn't as convenient as I thought.

So this year I am trying a community garden close to home. Unfortunately, there is no running water at this location. So I think I will try a gravity fed irrigation system. Anyone have any experience with this type of system?

Also, I was told that Midwest Organics, http://www.compostmatters.com/composting.asp donated all of the soil for the beds. This looks promising. I think they use a lot of Dairy manure. How should I approach this for the growing season. Should I avoid certain fertilizers as this may be high in nitrogen?

Each bed is 5' x 16', i think they are at least 6"+ from the ground. Not really sure, I haven't gone out to inspect the plots yet. I think they framed them with 2 x 6's?

I have attached a couple of PDF files of a rough scetch up of the plots and drip irrigation. Anyone have any suggestions, I am open. I am hoping to have a good year.

I have a few different approaches available but I am not sure which to take. LOL
I have a full gallon of Urban Farms Texas Tomato food. I also bought the Mittleider method micro nutrients. I think I may also have tomato tone. Which to use? hmmm
Attached Files
File Type: pdf garden.pdf (178.9 KB, 33 views)
File Type: pdf Garden2.pdf (69.5 KB, 24 views)