View Single Post
Old January 20, 2014   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I can't believe I left out Spudakee. Thanks for reminding me Travis. It is also a great one but with potato leaves. Some years it is my most productive but if I had to pick one it would still be Indian Stripe.

Carolyn, I think one thing that may affect your opinion on the taste of black tomatoes is the cooler climate in which you live. When I first grew them I was totally underwhelmed by their flavor in late spring and early summer but then the really hot southern weather arrived and so did the flavor. I usually wait til at least late April to start setting out black tomatoes because the taste is so disappointing before those high 90 to 100 degree days get here. I sacrifice fruit size and numbers by waiting but it is well worth it. Last summer was the coolest and wettest I can remember and it was also the worst for black tomatoes and the best for large pink beefsteaks.

Bill
Bill, I don't think it's the weather, I think it's just me.

There are quite a few folks in my area who grow lots of varieties for sales at Farmer's markets and I've been mentoring someone who lives not far from me for that same purpose and giving him seeds for quite a few dark ones that I didn't mention above, as well as tons of seeds for other varieties.

And from Farmer's Market sales and feedback as well as feedback from some tasting events most like the taste of them.

So it has to be me.

Isn't that a song title I'm remembering, or is it you've gotta be you?

When I first joined SSE in 1989 there were only 4 or so so called black ones listed and now it's hundreds. I thought the black fad would be over by now and a couple of us had predicted that the next fad would be the green when ripes.

The GWripes cerainly have become fad, and the blacks are still very popular.

Carolyn