View Single Post
Old December 11, 2013   #8
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Default Cave Update

Here is an update on my cave since Nov 26. The temperature in my cave gets no higher than 65 degrees so I decided to enhance the climate for my plants by enclosing the three SIP's in a growing chamber. I simply expanded the light stand by raising the top 2 Sunblasters to about 6'4", and expanding the sides to create a 2' depth.and incorporating 3 more vertical Sunblasters in front, then surrounding the entire 3/4" PVC cage with Enerflex Reflective Thermal Barrier.

Now the temperature at the bottom of the chamber is 83 degrees, but the top of the chamber is 100 degrees if I leave the top covered, so I vent the top to get the temp down to 90 degrees. I need to install a fan or something to lower that temp more.

So far all the plants love the light. I stuck in a Yellow Pear sucker I took a couple of weeks ago, and I added a Valerian sprout I just sowed, plus I stuck a couple of Spider Aloe's I just transplanted and will give as Christmas gifts.

The Tommy Toe is looking pretty good, flowering and growing well. The snow peas also look good, but there is some yellowing on their leaves, probably due to too much fertilizer.

I think Tommy Toe is one of the toughest tomato plants ever.

My 3 big plants (Celebrity, Black Opal and Yellow Pear) are pretty much done in. I got 5 1/2 lbs of absolutely perfect Celebrity tomatoes last week and it still has more ripening, but I'm done trying to maintain these plants because they've got spider mites and who knows what else.

Charley
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Garden Room 1201013 004.jpg (466.3 KB, 252 views)
File Type: jpg Garden Room 1201013 005.jpg (462.6 KB, 247 views)
File Type: jpg Garden Room 1201013 006.jpg (461.9 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg Garden Room 1201013 007.jpg (463.8 KB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg Garden Room 1201013 008.jpg (444.9 KB, 246 views)
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote