View Single Post
Old November 26, 2013   #3
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

The only significant differences between my rendition of the Alaska Grow Buckets and the originals are that I don't use colanders inside the buckets, and I incorporated a bit different plumbing.

Instead of colanders I use the top halves of Costco's rotisserie chicken containers. I drill a hole in each side of them and put them upside down in the bottom of the buckets to act like the colanders do. I didn't want to have to buy colanders for each bucket and since I had the containers (I used to feed my wolf Costco rotisserie chicken and I saved the containers...I use the bottoms for trays...I've got dozens). I used Target's reuseable shopping bags and they fit very snuggly over the Home Depot buckets. I am going to test a bucket using no bottom support at all with the Target bag because I think that it is so tight that it can support itself it.

My plumbing is a take off of LDS preppers SWC's. I would have used his "in-line" plumbing and eliminate the need for elbows and T's, but I originally had this system outside before it got too cold, and my space in the original configuration required the reservoir to be off-line from the grow buckets, thus requiring elbows and T's.

Here's a shot of my plumbing.

Charley
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alaska Grow Bucket connections.jpg (459.7 KB, 286 views)
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote