View Single Post
Old October 26, 2013   #17
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Bumping this thread.

Worth here is your answer that you have been patiently waiting for (hope it is correct!) Its because each fruit goes through a color progression: green/ white /lemon/ red. The leaf color also is unique.

Does anyone have an opinion of this or Lutescent / Honor Bright . There is some buzz in the breeding threads but not much on its performance as a cropper. The unique leaf color could be useful as a "landmark" for rows. My signs faded and everything seemed to grow into each other last summer.

- Lisa
I sure have grown it and you forgot one color in the sequence, it goes from green to white to yellow to orange and then ripens up red. The plant is spectacular with all the different colors of fruit at one time.

The foliage is a sickly looking yellow, gasp.

It's felt that there was one mutation that caused mutations in sereral other genes as well.

It was Craig LeHoullier, (nctomatoman), who first made the connection between Livingston's Honor Bright and Lutescent.

Now the downside.

I consider it as a novelty only, the ripe fruits are not tasty, IMO, and not tasty more generous than what I wanted to say, and I would never grow it again. But as a novelty, like growing Reisetomate, it' s interesting to see.

And if you want a bit of a laugh, consider what Livingston himself said about it in this link from Tania's website:

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Lutescent

Carolyn