View Single Post
Old October 14, 2013   #28
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
I am currently working on edible cana lillies.

I would like to work on edible dahlias if I could find varieties with simple flowers (like a sunflower).
I started some canna lilies just because they're pretty and hardy. I'm trying to create an edible front yard. Surprisingly difficult in zone 9. Many of the "unusual" edibles are not bred to be widely adapted like the more usual suspects. Or are so difficult to get nutrition from they're basically a novelty.

When you factor in potential toxicity (or lack of information), difficulty of harvest, the occasional two plus years of germination time (subtropical cherries), irregular germination, the fact that a number of these things are technically trees... well, it makes me want to stay with radishes.

My list so far is canna lilies, lemon balm, lemon mint, white horehound, hibiscus, lemongrass, Job's Tears, ornamental peppers, redskin dahlia, chives, and pumpkin tree. And hopefully some potatoes in the spring. Trying to find "surprise" edibles that are cold hardy yet won't melt in the sun and aren't partly toxic is hard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Kohlrabi!
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote