View Single Post
Old October 13, 2013   #17
nolabelle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlintx View Post
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/c-31-jeru...artichoke.aspx

HEB sometimes has them in the veggie area for eating.

Also, I think they have a high inulin content, so eating too many may cause a tummy upset. I read something about cold weather causing the plant to convert the inulin to an easier to digest starch?

Tl
Thanks for the link, tl. I must have missed that during my search.

Here's some nutritional information:
Nutritional Value

While a good source of carbohydrates, the sunchoke stores inulin rather than insulin as its starch for extra energy during winter months. This can be useful, especially for people who limit glucose in their diets, because the inulin breaks down into fructose rather than glucose during digestion. This unique quality can make the tuber a good substitute for other starchy foods like potatoes, particularly for diabetics. Some people experience mild gastrointestinal bloating due to this fructose, however, so some proponents suggest introducing sunchokes to the diet gradually, beginning with small portions.

These vitamin-rich roots are high in thiamin, niacin, and iron. They also contain relatively large amounts of potassium and Vitamin C, while being low in calories. The tubers contain no fat or cholesterol, and only small amounts of sodium. A 1 cup (150 gram) serving of sunchokes contains approximately 110 calories, 3 grams of protein, and 2.4 grams of dietary fiber.

They may make you a bit "windy".