View Single Post
Old September 14, 2013   #65
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by z_willus_d View Post
I grew out several Trinidad Seasoning, a Roberto's Seasoning, and a Granada Seasoning this year. These pepper plants took a long time to produce, relative to their brothers (Bells, Hyrbrid Godfather, Italian frying, etc.), but once they started to set fruit, they didn't look back. Today, I'm drying them and plan to bend up a spice mix. I really like the floral flavor they impart, and every time I get a whiff of one, I expect the heat of a habanero to hit me... but it's not there.

I'm also pickling several other peppers today -- Tam Jal, Pepperoncini, Italian Frying, etc. I'm going to try this recipe:
http://walnutspinney.blogspot.com/20...rs-or-hot.html

If anyone has any ideas on how to improve on it, please feel free to respond.

--naysen
I grew Corbaci for the first time and liked it a lot. It made great chili powder. It was slow to turn red 'tho, even here in Mexico. I also grow Tobago seasoning...wonder if it's the same pepper as Trinidad? I agree about production...the Corbaci and the Tobago Seasoning were just dripping with long curly peppers and usualy three colors on plant at same time. The plants do look quite spectacular.

I do pepperoncini but any time I have ever "processed" peppers, they are not crisp enough. I use the basic pickling recipe on your link but NO WATER...I bring it to a boil, turn off heat, add pepperoncini, stir for about 5 minutes and then remove the pepperoncini and pack tightly into jars. Allow the liquid to cool and then pour into jars. No processing because there is no water in this recipe and the vinegar is an anaerobic environment. I store them in a cool dark place. GREAT!!! Really crisp. I do the Greek pepperoncini too but they can get a mite hotter taste-wise but I sure like them. I also do a pepper called "Sweet Pickled Pepper". They are absolutely loaded with fruit in a variety of colors and using the recipe above, make the tastiest, crispest peppers. This plant is really productive and colors up early. I pretty much like pickled anything...(except maybe pigs feet, which I have eaten but was not too turned on by...)