View Single Post
Old September 14, 2013   #3
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Hi Naysen,

Glad you like my set-up. I've already improved upon the design (I think). So it's still evolving and not yet marketable !
The first batch of 2 grafts seem to have done fine (except for the pepper graft that I apparently didn't get a good match on and it just fell out of the clip!) and have moved things on to the second low-light chamber. I've got some new pepper on tomato grafts going in the new chamber now.

Yeah, I know about all your problems with F, V, and whatnot. I really feel for you and admire your patience in getting to the root of things (no pun intended). The youtube link above actually had a lot of quite interesting comments about various rootstocks and diseases that I hadn't known about or had forgotten. The same guy (Cary Revalt??) also has another youtube video 75 minutes long that repeats a lot of the first video, but has a few more tid-bits here and there. In one of the videos he was talking about the various V races and how hard some are to eliminate, but found in his studies that grafted tomatoes, even though stricken by V to some degree equaled the production of the ungrafted tomatoes WITHOUT the disease. Also how a rootstock might be effective against a certain pathogen in one part of the country but not another. You've probably already seen the videos, but it might be worthwhile giving them another look if you have the time. It might have more relevance now that you're dealing with your current problems.

I've been following your soil saga with great interest. Fingers crossed that your current experiment works!!

Anne
aclum is offline   Reply With Quote