View Single Post
Old September 12, 2013   #12
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfredo View Post
Thanks Kath

Burpee Butterbush. Will check it out.

Thankfully, I have a decent sized garden space. My garden wraps around three sides of the house. So I grow one type of squash over on one side of the house, and the other variety on the other opposite side, so I have enough space to try some of the bigger growing types. Though I would certainly try to sneak in some of the compact/bush types, I just don't know which ones are the better flavored/more productive ones.

If I was the only one eating squash here, my stored squash would make it through winter I suspect...but there's 7 people that love to eat squash here and they all cook!
Not sure what you consider productive, Alfredo, but last year 5 plants yielded 51 mature fruits, most weighing about 2 lbs.- as small as about 1 lb. and several over 3 lbs. It's great for me because I'm the only one eating them and they last until I run out of them in the spring when I'm more interested in eating what's fresh from the garden anyway. But if you've got lots of squash eaters, it might be too small.

I've grown it now for many years and have compared it for taste and storage with Autumn Glow, Baby Butternut, Early Butternut, High-Beta Gold, Johnny's PMR, JWS 6823, Metro, Turtle Tree Butternut and Waltham Butternut and it was the best of the bunch- the shorter vine is a bonus since I don't have to try to trellis them or have the deer pulling the vines outside of the fence! It's an op variety which can be found on the Burpee seed rack at the Home Depot, Walmart, etc.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote