View Single Post
Old September 12, 2013   #11
Alfredo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug9345 View Post
Last year I grew Pink Banana, True Green Hubbard, blue Hubbard, Table Queen Acorn, Table king acorn, an orange acorn, a white acorn and I think I missed one. I didn't pay a lot of attention because I had plenty of summer squash to eat, But I don't remember one being much early than any other.

Last summer besides winter squash I planted a lot of summer squash. Of course some of it got too old and tough to eat as summer squash.
What I did with it was to peel it, cut it up into cubes and use it more like you would a winter squash. I didn't try roasting it but did use it cubed in soups. This uear I didn't get a garden in but next year I plan on experimenting with using Patisson Panaché Jaune et Verte or another patty pan type squash as a winter squash.

Unless you are saving seed from your squash don't worry about it crossing.
Wow that's an amazing assortment of squash! Maybe my problem is I'm saving squash seed when I don't necessarily have to (and thereby limiting the variety I grow each season)...maybe next year I'll grow out several just to have a mixed assortment growing. Hmm now to decide on which ones...
Thanks