View Single Post
Old December 28, 2006   #4
Lilypon
Tomatovillian™

Hi Akgardengirl

My first frost is usually mid September (but can be at the beginning......however this year it was mid-October).

I don't have a greenhouse but I do have a closed-in porch off my DD's bedroom (after reading your reply I may beg, for a tiny amount of space, at my fav greenhouse now tho . I usually start seeds about 8 weeks prior to planting out (traditionally here last freeze is May 20th). Seeing that you start yours in March I think I'll follow suit (at least with slooooow to mature ones). I have a couple of later ones, Bear Claw and AGG are two that I can think of, and I really would like to get a couple of vine ripened tomatoes off them. Last year I started mid to late Cherokee Purple, Abe Lincoln and Arkansas Traveller, two weeks into April (fell behind due to surgery) and managed to get the first blooms' fruit to ripen (just).

We had an exceptionally hot summer last year (high 80's, 90's 100's).....I think it slowed down a number of varieties. Some like Dr. Carolyn ripened about the same time that Abe Lincoln did. Black Cherry ripened a little earlier which surprised me since it germinated 3 weeks after all my other seed did.
Lilypon is offline   Reply With Quote