Thread: Garlic
View Single Post
Old September 2, 2013   #43
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
Here's a photo of pollinated garlic seeds (Allium sativum) that I grew in my garden last year. I am growing more this year, because I really really don't like growing clones.

It's hard to correct an entire civilization that has believed for thousands of years that garlic is sterile and that bulbils are seeds. I normally don't even try. For the past 6 months I have purposefully avoided commenting on this thread.

Durgan: Your guides seem so authoritative, but their credibility is seriously compromised because the language is antiquated in regards to the definition of a "garlic seed". Your guides would carry more weight if they used more accurate descriptions. Bulbils are not seeds.

Another photo is at: Going to Seed

Here's some background reading on current amateur and professional research into the production of true garlic seeds:
This is really fascinating, Joseph. Thanks for all the links.

My friend gave me an armload of scapes last summer from a Music strain another friend has been growing for decades, selecting for larger and fewer bulbs. A couple of the scapes started to flower, and I left them in the vegetable bin without any water or attention and got a nice bunch of bulbils which I planted last fall.
I hate to say it, but, there were a couple of seeds in the bin which I threw away, having no idea there was such a thing as true garlic seed. I thought they must be mouse sh**. Although I do not have mice. I had never even heard of bulbils before I saw them on the scapes - I have never grown garlic before because I didn't have "seed" so I was just thrilled to discover that the bulbils could be planted.

I got some nice size rounds from my largest bulbils, which I'll plant this fall, but certain to repeat the experiment with scapes, and I won't make the mistake of discarding true seed again, if I get some.
My garlic growing adventures have just begun...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg firstyear-music-frombulbils.JPG (262.6 KB, 16 views)
bower is offline   Reply With Quote