View Single Post
Old August 25, 2013   #48
b54red
Tomatovillian™

As I mentioned on one of the grafting forums the two best rootstock have been Floralina and Tasti-Lee so far. They neither one are resistant to nematodes so that is a drawback but nematodes usually take much longer to kill than does fusarium. I am experimenting with Amelia and Multifort but I did not get my seed started for them til late so I didn't put any grafts of them out til June so it is too early to tell how they will do.

As to scions, I am sold on several that did really good grafted onto either scion. The best was probably Virginia Sweet which was grafted onto a Floralina and is still producing. Other scions that produced good on Floralina were Barlow Jap, Tarasenko-6, Brandywine Sudduth, Bella Rosa, and Red Barn. The ones that did the best on Tasti-Lee rootsock were Giant Belgium, Omar's Lebanese, Donskoi, Indian Stripe pl, and Fish Lake Oxheart. I am absolutely amazed at the production of Donskoi on the Tasti-Lee because it is known for being really stingy.

So far on my Amelia rootstock I can say already that Franks Large Red and Lumpy red do very well on it but that Neves Azorean Red and Indian Stripe have done very poorly when grafted to Amelia. Could just be bad grafts but I think the two varieties are not very compatible with Amelia. It is still too early to say on my Multifort grafts and with the awful rainy season we have had fighting foliage diseases has kind of thrown a monkey wrench into determining which plants are doing well since all of them have been drowning for most of the past two months. I was really hoping to be able to determine better which grafts to use next year because I would like the added benefit of Nematode resistance that Amelia and Multifort provide but my success with Floralina and Tasti-Lee on some varieties is just too good not to try again even if they do get nematodes.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote