Thread: 2013 pole beans
View Single Post
Old August 13, 2013   #14
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
Loved seeing this thread because I'm still exploring pole beans. Sultan's Green Crescent and La Vigneronne, which I seem to remember you mentioning in another thread, sound like like they must make next year's trial. ...
A note about finding some of these varieties:

La Vigneronne (aka Weinlanderin) is a French/Swiss bean that does not seem to be available here. It's early and prolific, so I'm surprised someone isn't growing it to increase seed stocks! A similar bean that is easier to find is Waterloo County Mennonite (aka Mennonite Purple Stripes), which has similar coloring and stays crunchy even when it's huge. It has good flavor but it's less sweet than my favorite. I didn't grow that one this year. (Actually, not so easy to find! I got mine from Sample Seed Shop a few years ago, but the only source in the U.S. seems to be http://www.wrightsdaylily.com/beans.html)
Rattlesnake looks similar, but it wasn't as productive as other beans in my garden last year -- I don't think it likes the cool nights we have in the summer.

I got Sultan's Green Crescent from a local seed bank last year (3 seeds) and saved seeds. I've seen it in the public Seed Savers Exchange catalog.

Purple Peacock was the purple bean in the Renee's Garden Tricolor Pole Beans packet. Available at other places, too.

Sample Seed Shop has sold Bosnian, but it goes out of stock quickly. I got my seeds from an online seed swap (along with many of the others).

I don't think any of the others are hard to find.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote