View Single Post
Old February 1, 2006   #12
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Velvet Red....my seeds from Joe Bratka, and no, not one he bred, and the same as Angora Super Sweet, which he said he did breed.

And no, the fruits are not fuzzy as Hoosier indicated in that quote above. Gorgeous angora foliage that sparkles in the sun with abundant mediocre tasting cherry fruits, at least to me.

Joe wrote to me about what's now called Grandpa Ludolph's German Red and really wanted me to grow it and taste it. After he gave me the background information he had, I submitted several names to him and he chose Grandpa Ludolph's German Red.

He then sent me two fruits to taste. I didn't think they were all that great, to be honest, and told him so. He then replied that the ones he grew this past summer weren't that good but he had remembered them tasting better in previous years.

He did end up sending seed to several folks.

And in return for sending me those two fruits I sent him several varieties that he requested from me and I see they are on his grow list for this summer.

Right now I have a sinking feeling that I didn't save seeds from those fruits, but he may have sent me more, I just can't remember right now, but I think yes, as in they're somewhere.

Carolyn
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote