View Single Post
Old December 22, 2006   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon27
Well, not to start again, but since ananas (pineapple) is masculine, I cannot think of any reason why it would be Ananas Noire. Ananas Noir is grammatically correct. Unless there are some rules about plant varieties or the species of plant taking precedence on noun gender.
Well you have started it again Feldon, , and what you say has been said, by several, in that older post at GW that I referred to.

And I forget the reasons why it should be Noire but they were clearly stated. Apparently there are several regions within Belgium where the language dialects are different, that much I remember from that thread.

And if the man who found this variety gave it to the Belgium guy who was a friend, to list at SSE, the spelling that he used is good enough for me and I'd think for others, for he alone should know what's correct for his language where he lives.

Yeah, the masculine/feminine dealie was talked about at length. Maybe you can find that old thread at GW and resurrect it to read it.

In the end, the guy who found it in his patch of Pineapple plants said Noire. QED

Then again, it could be argued that the popular variety Yellow Flame should be Flamme jaune and not Jaune Flamme.