Thread: Juices
View Single Post
Old August 1, 2013   #66
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlintx View Post
I agree about the commercial stuff -- I like the TJ's because it's tasty and more nutritious than a glass of OJ or a Coke. My favorite is actually home juiced celery, spinach, and lemon juice.

I'm excited to increase production this season, and over the winter, and next spring... this spring I managed tomatoes, greens, and a few peppers. Our climate is not friendly to a lot of berries and fruits, but I'm not complaining, because we have a great climate for many other things.

Maybe I should go dig my juicer out of the garage? Or I could use my blender. Do you think freezing the juice would negatively impact it?
My view:Freezing is fine for meat, but leaves a lot to be desired for vegetation. A human diet probably requires as much variety as possible to corporate all the necessities over the long term. I have found juicing can encompass almost anything with ease and ingesting is possible with little effort. Certainly one can juice almost any produce in the peak of condition. Fresh vine ripened is the ideal, but most do not live in a climate where such is possible, so we have to compromise. Unfortunately, we have handed our food preparation over to commercial interests, possible or more probably to the detriment of our health and well being.

Some relatively modern tools for food preparation have simplified canning in particular. Ease of operation food mills for straining, sure beats cheese cloth. Juicers which are basically different sized screens tend to get more nutrients out of the process. Some only supply water but others tend to get most of the useful material for consumption. A Champion juicer and a simple food mill are a big improvement over what our pioneer ancestors has to contend with. Of course, any food preparation takes time and effort. Many people are not prepared to expend the effort for various reasons.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote