View Single Post
Old July 31, 2013   #51
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
You guys could make a new TV series from this thread. It is full of mystery and suspense. I look forward to the final outcome.
We will call it "Days of our tomatoes"

Well I have an update. I am in love head over heals

Thank you for the snickers Marina. I just yesterday made sauce. OMG Unbelievable! There are just not words to describe it. I don't even care what Black pepper tastes like anymore. The snickers is just that good in sauce I also am in love with the productivity! I must have at least 10 or more snickers for every black pepper. And none of the black pepper are ripe yet, but I have already just from the first picking 12 snickers off 2 plants!

The only bad thing is about 1/3 have splits, only one had a bad split, most were small cracking on the shoulder and 2/3 had no cracking at all. We did get flooded again a couple days ago, so I guess it is expected. But for sauce? Just cut the bad spot out and cook em up anyway! The flavor cooked is so good it is crazy! I was skeptical at first too. The flavor fresh is just so so, and the texture I didn't like very much. But once I cooked em up? Magical.

The thing is I am definitely an amateur cook. I have always had problems making good Italian sauce. It won't thicken right for me even using paste types and it never tastes exactly right either. Those snickers thickened up perfectly! I usually end up cheating and adding a store bought can of paste.

No more! I can now make sauce better than the best Italian restaurant I ever ate at! MUCH better!

Ingredients:
1 Campbell's 146
1 The Miracle BPF
5 or 6 Snickers
1 clove pickled garlic
small onion (Egyptian walking)
fresh basil, oregano, tarragon
(unfortunately I had to use dry rosemary as my rosemary died in the spring floods)
pinch of sea salt

simmer until thick

OMG! I just died and went to heaven! I suppose it is not a purist Snickers sauce, because I did add part of a Campbell's 146 and The Miracle BPF, both had bad spots so I couldn't sell them....so I cut the bad spots out and added them...but Snickers thickens so well it didn't matter!

Snickers will be my go to sauce tomato for sure!

Next year instead of only 2 plants, I am growing a whole 30 foot row of Snickers! Thanks again Marina!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote