View Single Post
Old July 23, 2013   #25
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I haven't thrown in the towel but I sure have to use one every time I go outside with the constant rain we have had for seven weeks now. Fungicide spraying has been almost futile since we have only had one two day period without rain in the last seven weeks and I'm not talking about a little shower in the afternoon. Without the use of the bleach spray I think most of my plants would be dead now. Many days I wake up to the sound of rain and go to bed with the sound of rain. It makes for good sleeping but the veggies don't appreciate it.

My early tomato crop was fantastic and a lot of my plants are still alive but with very little foliage except at the very top. The plants I have set out the past couple of months are looking a little better so there is some hope for a decent fall if the rain ever lets up. Years like this just reinforce my belief in the benefits of staggering my planting from March til early August. With such a long growing season it is crazy to put all my eggs in one basket. Putting all my tomatoes out at the same time sometimes works out but more often than not it doesn't.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote