View Single Post
Old July 18, 2013   #11
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Default Yield perception

In all honesty, flavor aside, it is the most produced in a given area per season.

We have no choice in AK but to grow tomatoes in a greenhouse, practical tomato gardening that is, and farmers up here have became quite proficient at using available space. Some of my friends up here, who grow tomatoes for farmers markets, are very efficient at this. For example; they choose a variety that is very manageable, me I have trees, I get much more yield on some plants, per plant, but because they can keep more order, their yields exceed mine overall. On top of that I have more waste/canning goods, from bemishes, tortured shapes, cracks, especially on shoulders, but I grow yummy tomatoes too, better than theirs, but their tomatoes are still good.
I put cherries in a catagory, Ildi is a freak, determinates, Bush Early Girl beats all I've tries per square foot, and inderminates, where many are close to another in yields. My biggest Early Girl had 140 tomatoes set at once, averaging 4-5 oz per tomato, so far, with some smaller weird ones I should pluck, I have a tortured looking Caspian that yielded over 10lbs from the first 8 tomatoes with 25-30 still set, but fruit size slowly shrinking. Both are looking to hit 25-30lbs from observation, and in my world thats alot. I have several that should have around 15- 20lb yields, and a few flops too.
At the end of the season two things happen; "hey Art how was your yield? And "hey try this." I grow my reliables every year, new experimental brands, my favorite tastes, and all of these together is my real yield based on a balance of variables between certainty, taste, and my quest for the best tomato in the world.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote