View Single Post
Old July 15, 2013   #255
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

It is possible to keep them alive even through a long hot Texas summer. If you do, the rewards can be large plants that kick back into action in the fall season. I didn't think you could do that, but sunshade cloth and remaining vigilant about disease has proved to me it can be done. This year, I've got a few plants that disease will beat soon, but, most are still salvageable and this break in the heat may do wonder for their viability.

PS Whatever is eating my tomatoes has now eaten 2 dozen big beefs - seems to be its favorite - and many others. So far, my trapping efforts, fencing, and deterring efforts have failed miserably. If I don't figure it out soon, I'll have no crop left to worry about. Quite frustrating to have such a late year, but with a bountiful harvest ready to come in and lose out to something. But, that's the topic of another thread.

If you don't have replacement plants growing well that you can plant now, why not try to nurse your plants through August, cut them back then and see what they do for fall?
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote