View Single Post
Old July 10, 2013   #57
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Sorry to hear your tomato growing isn't going so well. I am wondering though, what are kirby's?
It is hard finding a producers market I think. It is really hard work and most vendors don't want to work tht hard to produce that much to sell. I grow on maybe, at most, 2 acres (fruit trees, grapes, raspberries, and all the garden vegetables and corn) and it is 6 days a week work with the 3 markets I do...I sweat through untold changes of clothes, drink copius amounts of water/tea. always have dirty hands, disgusting looking fingernails, etc. growing for a market is hard work and many small markets seem to fail if there aren't the "purveyors" of fine fruits and vegetables to draw more people. It is a catch 22, few vendors, few customers, few customers, few vendors. Vendors need to have different veg. and fruits to choose from because we as consumers have too many choices at the grocery store (imo) and think that a vendor should have way too many items to sort through to take their concept of the best one....Keep looking for the small growers at your markets and do support them. They will thank you and appreciate you as their customer.
I understand, people like to one-stop-shop these days and I see how importing produce to meet expectations of customers when it comes to variety would make a difference. Some customers don't like being told that something isn't in season or can't be grown locally because of climate.

Personally I really love and prefer small growers that specialize in a few types of produce. I had my collection of favorite stands at the union square farmer's market for two decades Don't get me started about the fall apples at the Terhune Orchard stand, I could go on and on... And they sold the best apple pies. After chatting with the farmer I found out that he had the Dean of Pastry Arts at the CIA come up with the recipe and train his bakers on how to make the pies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewayne mater View Post
Vesp - head on over to the Coppell Farmers Market on Saturday mornings. All locally grown/raised stuff. Nice folks everywhere. A few times I've found some heirloom tomatoes there, but not really this year. The markets are generally as good as the volunteers that run them make them and the Coppell folks are very active and present at all times. www.coppellfarmersmarket.org/‎ Shouldn't be too far from Grapevine.

Dewayne Mater
OMG OMG OMG... A Farmer's Market right around the corner from Hard 8 BBQ? So I can get my BBQ and veggie/fruit fix all in the same day? I love Texas I'm going to check it out this Saturday. Thanks for the tip! It couldn't hurt to shop at both Grapevine and Coppell, plus it will give my hubs something to do other than watch TV.
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote